Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Les chasseurs de champignons




I am not used to saying "bonjour" to perfect strangers while walking in the forest but it seems to be the custom here, as it was in Belgium. I remember the first time I went jogging in the woods of the Sart-Tilman (Liege), another jogger passed me and said "bonjour". I was, admittedly, a little weirded out. "Pfft! Why would a stranger say "hi" to me?", I thought. I need to relax and shed my urban skin. I don't know if I am right in making this association but I think it's because I come from the city that I feel weird about saying "hello" to people I don't know.
Here's a corny paradox, but it's true: It is in the city where you feel more alone. In the country, people are more sparse yet friendlier.

The people we met in the forest were ready to talk and one old man told us, as we were passing him, that he lost his wife in the woods and she had the car keys so he couldn't go home until he found her. We laughed and walked away.
A lot of people were hunting mushrooms, as was his wife when he lost her. It sounds weird to call them "chasseurs". It's not like the mushrooms uproot themselves and run away at their approach. And yet, that's what these people are called.

1 comment:

  1. Heheheh je crois qu'il n'y a que moi qui les appelles les chasseurs de champignons ^^
    hihihih

    Très belle photo de l'Amanite Tue-Mouche par ailleurs ;)

    ReplyDelete